Waiting For The School Year To Start.
If you’ve got school-aged, food disposals in your house this summer, you are most definitely counting the days until school starts, riiiiight? Hey, with 4 kids of my own, I definitely know the value of getting some much needed, ALONE time a few hours per week, to get back on track with health & fitness. Buuuuuuut, what about when school starts and ….you just don’t dedicate the time you thought you would to a fitness program? Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! All you have to do is let us help you START SMART!
Starting Bootcamp, CrossFit, Kickboxing, Spinning, LA Fitness, P90X, 21 Day Fix, or ANY exercise program requires ONE thing: A WRITTEN GOAL! According to industry thought leaders like Brian Tracey, Darren Hardy, Tony Robbins, and Napolian Hill, the most successful people in the world have ONE big thing in common: THEY WRITE THEIR GOALS DOWN. Although it can seem like a menial and pointless task, unwritten goals are just like marbles rattling around inside an empty can. Without materializing them into a physical form on paper, they’ll likely never appear and you’ll become stuck in a never-ending cycle of day-to-day life without progress or growth. In fact, we have our athletes write down their goals and post them on our goal wall for accountability.
Here’s how you can avoid becoming stuck in a complacent-plateau of cyclical, unmotivated, apathy (these are nearly all of the nouns & adjectives my Facebook friends provided me when I asked them for vocabulary help as I was writing this post).
- SPECIFIC. A goal has to be specific. Simply stating, “I want to get in shape.” Or, “I need to lose some weight,” will not bring you closer to your solution, but will only reinforce and keep you closer to the problem. Your goal should be specific, e.g., “20 pounds of fat LIGHTER by Jan 1st, 2018.” This tells your conscience and sub-conscience mind (the other 90% of the underwater iceberg) that it is specific and has a deadline. Here’s a good one: “I get to CrossFit Hillsboro 5 days a week and bust my ass because I WILL NOT BE HELD BACK BY F’ING FEAR!” Otherwise, your conscience and sub-conscience will focus on the WANTING and not the DOING!
- MEASURABLE. How will you know you’ve achieved this goal? What are your action steps and how will you measure your Uphill, SUCCESS Battle Plan? Ask yourself:
- How will I know when the result has been achieved?
- How will I verify the achievement/performance of this goal?
- ATTAINABLE. Although I believe in dreaming BIG, having too big of a dream can sometimes frustrate you and take you away from achieving your goal. In other words, what are you willing to SACRIFICE to achieve this goal? Remember, if you want to lose 100 pounds, your first goal is just to lose one.
- RELEVANT. Why do you want to reach this goal? Why now? What’s the big deal? What drives you toward successfully achieving this goal? How will this goal improve your life? Does this goal matter for YOU? (the hell with everyone else!)
- TIMELY. Your sub-conscience mind is only activated by commands that are started in the present, positive, personal tense. “I weight ‘x’ by [date].” Or, “I earn $500,000.00 by December 31st, 2018.” The more specific & timely you can be, the more power the effect will be in your sub-conscience & super-conscience mind. This means that you’ll have to start busting your ass ASAFP, right NOW! The best time is always NOW, not “next Monday.”
“Okay, I have a goal. Now what?”
- After you SET & WRITE your goal, you have to recall it every day. Remember it frequently by using the Daily Rhythm Register. You can download the link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/izycqfamxz7lmlv/Daily%20Rythym%20Register%20.doc?dl=0
- Action steps toward achieving your goal are called the “tactics” of the Uphill SUCCESS Battle Plan (USBP). These action steps are also how you form new habits toward achieving your goal:
- Pack your gym bag.
- Come to at least 3 sessions a week (preferably at the same time each day).
- Shop for groceries each week (and send us pics of your groceries).
- Follow our exclusive & customized meal planner.
- Assess your success in 42 days from your start date with us.
Remember, it doesn’t matter WHAT you do. All that matters is that you stick with the plan for at least 6-weeks, write out your goals, plan your action steps, and track your success with the daily rhythm register. If you’re interested in starting our next 6-week challenge on September 18th, 2017, please email or call us and we’ll be happy to learn how we can help and serve you.
Chuck Gonzales, CSCS, USAW, FMS, CF-Coach
Founder, CrossFit Hillsboro & Pacific Personal Training
2074 NW Aloclek Dr. S. 411 Hillsboro, OR 97124